Methodological principles for transparent science
You take notes and you want to be able to find them back? You make calculations on your computer, but your results change from day to day? You analyse data, or you work on a new method that you would like to share easily with your colleagues so that they can use it as well?
This MOOC is for you. Christophe Pouzat, Arnaud Legrand et Konrad Hinsen will show you some modern and reliable tools:
- Markdown for taking structured notes
- Desktop search application (DocFetcher et ExifTool)
- GitLab for version control and collaborative working
- Computational notebooks (Jupyter, RStudio, and Org-Mode) for efficiently combining the computation, presentation, and analysis of data
This MOOC consists of four modules that combine videos and quizzes with exercises for getting hands-on experience with the tools and methods that are presented. We propose three paths, each of which uses a different notebook technology:
- The first path uses Jupyter notebooks and the Python (or R) language. It requires no software installation on your computer.
- The second path uses RStudio and the R language. You will have to install RStudio on your computer, but we will guide you through this process.
- The third path uses the Org-Mode package of the Emacs editorand thelanguages Python and R. You will have to install Emacs, Python, and R on your computer, but we will guide you through this process.
We will introduce other challenges of reproducible research. At the end of this MOOC, you will have acquired good habits for preparing replicable documents and for sharing the results of your work in a transparent fashion.
This course is mostly bilingual French / English. The videos in this course are in French but are fully subtitled in English. The remaining course material is mostly available in English as well.
This second session of the MOOC, proposed by Inria Learning Lab, will be open from April, 1 to June, 13 2019.
To see the course description and register now or before June 4, 2019, go to FUN plateform .